You might have noticed some issues with your clothes dryer or are just aware that cleaning out your dryer vent is a good way to maintain your home and get the most out of your clothes dryer. Landers Appliance is here to help you know everything there is to know about your kitchen and laundry appliances and be your appliance repair service in the Baltimore area. Let’s learn how to clean the dryer vent the right way.
Benefits of Cleaning the Dryer Vent
Why will it be totally worth your time to clean out the dryer vent? Dryer vent fires happen more often than you think; built-up lint behind your clothes dryer can ignite if it is too dry and stuffed up.
Additionally, it could make it more difficult for your dryer to do its job. You might end up with clothes that are still wet after a drying cycle, and your clothes dryer’s lifespan might be cut short from overexertion.
How to Clean Your Dryer Vent
Make your trusty appliance last long and work well by cleaning it thoroughly in this fashion:
- Unplug the dryer or turn off the natural gas supply.
- Locate the dryer vent behind your dryer and disconnect it from the machine. You may need to get a screwdriver for it.
- Use a dryer vent brush to loosen any built-up lint that might be compacted or stuck on the sides.
- Vacuum up the debris.
- Go outside and find the other end of the dryer vent.
- Remove its protective cover that prevents critters from entering it.
- Repeat the cleaning process.
- Check the ductwork and cover for damage before reattaching them.
Check for Damaged Ductwork
Inside, your dryer might connect to the vent via vinyl or foil ductwork. Check that it is in good condition and free of punctures or kinks. If you need to replace it, it is easy to source materials from your local hardware or home improvement store.
Other Helpful Tips for Preventing Lint Buildup
- Clean the dryer vent twice a year.
- Remove lint from the lint screen after every cycle.
- Use a dryer lint alarm to let you know if lint builds up too much.
Contact Landers Appliance Today!
We really care about our customers! Everyone at Landers Appliance is committed to providing you with Honest, Reasonable, and Reliable service in everything we do! We train our team to strive for excellence, performing to the highest professional standards. And if we ever fail to deliver on these promises, we’ll apologize and do our best to make it right.
We service the entire Greater Baltimore Area, including Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Harford, and Howard Counties as well as Baltimore City. Call our office before 12:00 pm weekdays at 410-682-3232, or find us on Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin. “We’ll go out of our way to provide you with the best service you’ve ever received.”